30 July 2007

What a neat Sat. I had!

I went to Husser, LA on Sat. to drop off my dogs for boarding before a 12 day trip. I realized I was in cattle country and asked the dog folks if they had a neighbor who'd be willing to part to part with some fresh cow poop (from animals that had not been wormed within the last 6 weeks). Well wouldn't you know, there was a fellow right across the road who could help me out.

Oh, I forgot that some who read this might being asking WHY?! We are due to get some Phanaeus vindex in mid-August. So, I thought before my trip I should get and freeze some food for these future Insectarium critters.

I got the poop, and while so doing explained to my benefactor how pretty the beetle in question is and that I had never encountered one in the field myself. As I left, this fellow asked if I wanted anything from New Mexico, and I mentioned velvet ants. He of course said he sees them regularly on his property. I drive off and not 60 seconds later get a velvet ant that I spot crawling along the road.

Then, I was back at the dog boarder's and took time to swipe up some calico pennants. When I got the 3rd one, from grass about 6 inches high, there was something else in my aerial net - a major male Phanaeus vindex! How incredibly cool was that?!

- Zack

No comments: